Join Our Team
Portland or Bend, Oregon // Hybrid In-Office + Remote
Foghorn Labs is an independently owned online marketing consultancy focused on developing outstanding integrated marketing campaigns for outdoor and active lifestyle brands. Our focus on the outdoors extends beyond the office walls; we use our client’s products on a daily basis to enhance the activities we love.
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated team player to support our account management and development efforts. The ideal candidate has a solid understanding of the digital marketing landscape, strong data analysis skills, excellent verbal and written communication, is highly organized, a thirst for professional development, and a passion for outdoor adventures, no matter how simple or extreme.
As Foghorn’s Search Engine Marketing (SEO) Manager, you will work alongside the management team to develop, optimize, and manage integrated online marketing campaigns. In this role, you will have hands-on experience throughout the entire lifecycle of our client’s digital marketing campaigns, from the planning phase through launch and ongoing optimization. Your work will have an immediate impact on Foghorn Labs’ business as well as that of leading outdoor and active lifestyle brands.
This is a full-time position based out of either Foghorn’s main office in NE Portland’s historic Alberta Arts district, or at our new Bend office located in NW Crossing. Relocation will not be offered. All positions at Foghorn Labs are Hybrid in nature, with the expectation that full-time employees come into the office as needed for meetings (1 to 3 days per week), with the remainder of work performed from home or remotely.
- Work alongside company leadership and Account Managers to develop customized strategies across SEO, Paid Media, Email, and analytics for clients that combine industry best practices with ideas that are unique to each client’s business.
- Define the SEO strategy roadmap for new and existing clients, presenting recommendations and fine-tuning them as their business and Foghorn’s scope evolves.
- Quantify the impact of SEO initiatives on regular client meetings as well as quarterly/annual business reviews.
- Increase support of current recurring SEO business, ensuring that incremental, forward progress is happening across all accounts, that clients are satisfied with work, and that scope and compensation are aligned.
- Oversee keyword research, competitor and backlink gap analysis projects for new and existing clients, presenting findings directly to the client.
- Work alongside Account Managers and department heads to manage projects and tasks to completion in a timely manner according to statements of work, ensuring deadlines are met.
- Manage junior SEO team members and interns focused on SEO. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to employee training, professional development, performance management, and resource prioritization.
- Ramp up new team members on SEO development, strategy, best practices, and reporting for new and existing clients. Collaborate with the managers of new employees to ensure onboarding has been effective and complete.
- Lead resource planning efforts for the SEO team, providing recommendations to leadership for the timing of new hires, onboarding of contractors, and implementation of new tools and/or processes.
- Prioritize assignments for the SEO team based on complexity and urgency, assigning tasks to relevant team members.
- Oversee updates to process and best practice documentation for client onboarding and recurring tasks in Asana that relate to SEO, BI, reporting, and tracking implementation.
- Periodically review accuracy and relevance of internal and external client resources, dashboards, and reports, updating information as needed.
- Assist in the development of new business pitches through competitive research, website and campaign audits, and customizable sales collateral.
- Enhance Foghorn’s current SEO offering, identifying ways to further differentiate our playbook and approach based on evolving tools, strategies, and best practices.
- Oversee updates and improvements to the documentation of SEO offerings on foghornlabs.com as well as external presentations for upsells and new business pitches.
- Identify opportunities for upsell or scope increase within the current client portfolio. Work with Account Managers to determine when and how to surface opportunities based on current priorities and bandwidth.
- Maintain a current understanding of digital marketing trends and evolving best practices across paid and organic search channels.
- Communicate important algorithm updates and relevant best practices to clients and the internal team, escalating issues as they arise.
- Spearhead the development of case studies and thought leadership content published on Foghorn’s blog, social media channels, sales material, or trade presentations.
- Assist Data Analytics team with maintaining and enhancing Foghorn’s SEO-specific reporting dashboards. Compose industry-wide summaries to be incorporated into thought leadership content and client presentations.
- Maintain subject matter expertise in SEO and eCommerce, helping to evolve Foghorn Labs’ offerings to exceed client expectations. Keep up to date on digital marketing trends and industry news related to key clients.
- BA/BS degree, ideally in business (marketing, economics, management, leadership, entrepreneurship) or language arts (English, creative writing). BA/BS requirement waived for candidates with equivalent practical experience.
- 4 or more years of experience, excluding internships, with a focus on Search Engine Optimization and website development.
- 1 or more years of experience in a client service capacity.
- Ability to recognize trends and anomalies within large amounts of data.
- Highly organized with attention to detail in a project management capacity.
- Proven ability to write and present ideas in a clear, concise, and compelling manner.
- Ability to adapt quickly, think strategically, and seek solutions to the unfamiliar.
- Advanced Proficiency in Excel or Google Sheets as well as PowerPoint, Keynote, or Google Slides.
- Hands-on experience with at least two of the following web analytics tools: Google Analytics, Optmyzr, SEMRush, Moz, Raven Tools, Hotjar, KISSmetrics, Trendkite, Screaming Frog, Google Search Console, or equivalents.
- Fluency with HTML, SQL and CSS. Ability to code in R and/or Python a huge plus.
- Familiarity with at least two of the following CMS systems: Shopify, WordPress, BigCommerce, Magento, Volusion.
- Passionate about the evolution of marketing and being outside.
- Plays well with others.
Potential promotion paths from this position include, but are not limited to:
- Head of SEO
- Head of Content Marketing
- Flexible work schedule in a casual, creative, and welcoming work environment that promotes a healthy work-life balance.
- Impact the success of leading, socially-conscious brands in the outdoor, active lifestyle, and health & wellness arenas.
- Develop a wide range of highly marketable skills within a fast-paced, dynamic industry.
- Opportunities for professional growth within a profitable, progressive company that’s 100% employee-owned.
- Connect with a deep digital marketing and outdoor industry network.
- Paid time off and personal days to take care of your physical and mental well-being. Accrual rate increases with tenure.
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits (Regence Gold) in addition to 401(k) matching.
- Home office internet reimbursement and fully paid Verizon mobile phone plan.
- Access to awesome client gear like eBikes, SUPs, plus “pro-deals” galore!
How to Apply
Send a brief cover letter highlighting why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unsolicited emails will get Rick Rolled. Foghorn Labs prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Our team is committed to merit-based opportunities without prejudice towards anyone based on their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.
"...their knowledge and approach to digital advertising has helped us realize incredible growth..."
"The team at Foghorn is truly part of our family at Burley. Providing industry leading insights and perspectives, their knowledge and approach to digital advertising has helped us realize incredible growth in our first year working with them. Fun to work with, this dialed team challenges us in new ways and has really helped drive our brand presence forward. Bringing them onboard was one of the best Marketing decisions we’ve made."
Marketing Manager, Burley
"Foghorn is our secret weapon!"
"Foghorn is our secret weapon! Thanks to their SEO knowledge, our start-up brand out ranks major competitors on important key word searches. I have complete trust in the Foghorn team. They don't inflate metrics, which means our marketing team can accurately gauge which campaigns resonate with our community."
Founder, Machines For Freedom
"...consistent, double-digit year over year revenue growth with a 4-6x return on paid media..."
"The team at Foghorn is simply outstanding, and has become a seamless extension of the Showers Pass eComm team. Three years ago they jump-started our eCommerce growth and continue to provide consistent, double-digit year over year revenue growth with a 4-6x return on paid media for our direct-to-consumer channel...results we would not believe if we hadn't experienced them."
President, Showers Pass
"...the most profitable component of our online strategy."
Former Marketing & Ecommerce Manager, Mission Workshop
"...cornerstone of Rumpl's online strategy since day 1."
"Foghorn's work has been the cornerstone of Rumpl's online strategy since day 1. They've helped grow our direct business from the ground up while being respectful of budget constraints and short timelines. A trusted partner and integral to our success online."
"...instrumental in helping us strategize, plan, and execute campaigns..."
"Foghorn has a deep understanding of our industry and customers. Their expertise in the ever changing digital media landscape is instrumental in helping us strategize, plan, and execute campaigns across multiple vehicles."
D2C Marketing, GU Energy
"...friendly, professional, responsive, and full of good ideas."
"Foghorn Labs has been an integral part of our online growth thanks in no small part to their deep knowledge of SEO and SEM tactics. The crew is friendly, professional, responsive, and full of good ideas."
Founder, Trew Gear